Ready to take your skills beyond skirts?
Smarty Pants is a beta eCourse with Brooks Ann Camper exclusively for Skirt Skills alums.
If you’ve completed Skirt Skills, keep an eye on your email inbox and/or visit the new ALUM INFO & UPCOMING COURSES page on your Student Dashboard for registration details.
Watch the Intro Video:
Smarty Pants Tools & Supplies
While I recommend you purchase from your local independent retailer, ordering directly from the links below will earn me a (very) small Amazon Associates commission at no additional cost to you. If you have a similar item, but not the specific item, feel free to use what you’ve got! If you have questions please email me at email@example.com.
WEEKS ONE, TWO, & THREE:
In Smarty Pants, we will continue to use most of the tools and supplies listed in the first two weeks of the Skirt Skills Supplies List.
You will also need:
- Your completed custom Skirt Block from Skirt Skills
- Your completed custom Skirt Block Mockup from Skirt Skills
- A Flexible Curve Ruler 36″ or longer*
- 6 rubber bands (a few different colors can be helpful)
- A long L-square (16″x24″ works nicely)
- French curve
- Needlepoint spiky wheel
- A sleeve board
- Lots of muslin or mockup fabric (multiple mockup trials should be expected)
- colored pencils or pens
- 2nd mirror
- *students who couldn’t find long enough “flexible curve rulers” tried aluminum foil (as I suggest in the Supplies Video), but discovered and preferred using 16 gauge jewelry wire as an alternative to the “bendy ruler”.
- posterboard or oil cloth
- dotty paper
- wrist pin cushion
- industrial push pins (if you have a pinnable top table)
- lint tape roller
WEEKS FOUR & FIVE:
By the 4th week of class, you will need the materials for the pants you will make in the class. During the previous weeks of the class, we will discuss and help pick out and purchase exactly what you are going to use. Here is most likely what you will need:
- Pants Fabric: yardage depends on your design. Just as in Skirt Skills, we will be working with woven fabrics only. (No knits or stretch fabric!)
- Matching thread
- Regular zipper appropriate for your design -and/or-
- Soft waistband elastic appropriate for your design
- Hem lace
- Trouser button
- 1/2 chisel and block of wood
- a hammer
- white pencils (if you are using dark fabric)
- topstitching thread
- jeans needles
- jeans button
- jeans rivets
- fusible interfacing
- 1/4″ cotton twill tape
- hand basting needles
- wax tailors square
- Fray Check
Smarty Pants Tools & Supplies Video:
- Students who couldn’t find long enough “flexible curve rulers” tried aluminum foil (as I suggest in the video), but discovered and preferred using 16 gauge jewelry wire as an alternative to the “bendy ruler”.
- I did not end up enjoying transferring my block to “oil cloth”. Posterboard worked better.
- Though it is a great tool, I did not end up demonstrating how to use a clapper in class.
Please note: This course is still in “beta”. All info is subject to change.