Tools, Supplies, & Materials
Listed are the supplies we will use in this course. To take the guess work out of your experience, I’ve found most of the supplies on Amazon and have clickable affiliate links for you see exactly what each item is. While I recommend you purchase from your local independent retailer, ordering directly from the links below will earn a (very) small commission for me at no additional cost to you.
If you have a similar item, but not the specific item, feel free to use what you’ve got!
If you have questions please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Throughout the class we will often use:
- Full length mirror
- Large Table
WEEK ONE: Measuring and Drafting
- Measuring tape
- Elastic (just enough to tie around your waist and hips while we measure)
- Pencils (sharpened or mechanical)
- Scotch Tape
- Sketch paper (I like watercolor paper, but anything will do)
- 18”x2” See-Through Gridded Ruler
- A longer ruler or yardstick. I like this one.
- A long curved ruler, often called a “hip curve”. This one will work.
- 12” Combination Square with level
- Paper Scissors
- Pattern drafting paper: In my business I use brown craft paper, but for class I will use this white craft paper so my work is easier to see.
- a few paper clips
- A calculator
- Needlepoint Spiky Wheel: This is a cool drafting tool, but you can get by without it.
- A cardboard cutting mat (or any large piece of cardboard or foam board) to protect your table, if you don’t have a pinnable tabletop like mine.
- webcam or camera
WEEK TWO: (we will add…)
- Muslin (or any plain inexpensive woven fabric): Approximately 2 yards will do, but having a lot more on hand is recommended.
- Fabric Scissors (I also like these)
- Snips or seam ripper
- Hand Sewing Needles (though often out of stock, these Japanese ones are my favorite)
- A Sewing Machine
- Sewing machine needles
- A steam iron
- An ironing table or ironing board
- A pressing “ham”
- A thimble: Though I’d love to require it, a thimble is optional. This leather thimble is an excellent “starter thimble.” I highly recommend giving a thimble a try!
- Push pins or fabric weights
- If you have trouble threading needles, you’ll fall in love with this Clover needle threader.
WEEK THREE: (Nothing new to add!)
WEEK FOUR & FIVE: Your Skirt By this time, you will need the materials for the skirt you will make in the class. During the previous weeks of the class, we will discuss and help pick out and purchase exactly what you are going to use. Here is most likely what you will need:
- Skirt Fabric: yardage depends on your design. We will be working with woven fabrics only. (No knits or stretch fabric!)
- Matching thread
- Matching 7-9” zippers : I’ll show you how to use standard zippers and invisible zippers.
- Hook & Eye and Skirt Hook closures
- Invisible zipper foot for your sewing machine
- Lining fabric
- Light pencils (if using dark fabric)
- Pinking Shears
- 1/2″ and 1″ bias tape makers
- 1/2″ single fold and double fold bias tape
- Unbound Grosgain or Petersham
- Blind hem foot for your machine
Watch the Skirt Skills Tools and Supplies Video Lesson:
Upcoming Course Sessions
Skirt Skills starts February 19, 2018.
→ Registration is SOLD OUT!
→ The next 5 week session (with self-paced options) will tentatively start in June or July of 2018.
Join the email list!
Stay informed about Skirt Skills and be the first to know when new courses and new course dates are announced. I also share a peek into my library of reference books in the first email!